The Constitution of the Republic of Azerbaijan
The Constitution was prepared by the commission, chaired by the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan, Heydar Aliyev, and tasked with preparing the draft new Constitution of the Republic of Azerbaijan. It was adopted in a national vote (referendum) on 12 November 1995.
It entered into force on 27 November 1995.
With amendments adopted in a national vote (referendum) on 24 August 2002.
With additions and amendments adopted in a national vote (referendum) on 18 March 2009.
With additions and amendments adopted in a national vote (referendum) on 26 September 2016.
The people of Azerbaijan, continuing their centuries-long statehood traditions, guided by the principles laid down in the Constitutional Act on the State Independence of the Republic of Azerbaijan, desiring to ensure welfare of the whole society and every individual, wishing to establish justice, freedom and security, acknowledging their responsibility before past, present and future generations, and exercising their sovereign right, hereby solemnly declare the following intentions:
- to protect the independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
- to guarantee a democratic system within the framework of the Constitution;
- to achieve the establishment of a civil society;
- to build constitutional and secular state that guarantees the supremacy of law as an expression of the will of the people;
- to provide a proper standard of living for everybody in conformity with just economic and social order;
- by maintaining commitment to universal human values, to live in friendship, peace and safety with all the nations of the world and co-operate with them for this purpose.
Having in mind the above- stated noble intentions the Present Constitution is adopted - by nationwide popular vote – referendum.